Legionella.org provides educational resources for anyone who has been affected by Legionnaires' disease. A nonprofit organization, we provide comprehensive answers to those who are living with the disease, clinicians, to water treatment professionals and others. Founded by internationally recognized authorities in Legionnaires' disease, Legionella.org advocates a proactive approach to prevention. Our information is based on more than 30 years of clinical and environmental research. We share our research for the sole purpose of preventing illness and death.
Radisav D. Vidic, PhD, PE
William Kepler Whiteford Faculty Fellow
University of Pittsburgh Swanson School of Engineering
Radisav D. Vidic is a William Kepler Whiteford Professor of Environmental Engineering and Chairman of the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering at the Swanson School of Engineering. His professional expertise is in the area of physical/chemical unit processes for water, wastewater and air treatment. His research efforts focus on advancing the applications of surface science by providing fundamental understanding of molecular-level interactions at interfaces, development of novel physical/chemical water treatment technologies, water management for Marcellus shale development, reuse of impaired waters for cooling systems in coal-fired power plants and control of Legionella in institutional and industrial water systems. Dr. Vidic published over 200 journal papers and conference proceedings on these topics. He received 2000 Professional Research Award from the Pennsylvania Water Environment Federation for his research accomplishments and dedication to the profession, was a Fulbright Scholar in 2003/04 and a was elected by the Pittsburgh section of American Society of Civil Engineers as 2008 Professor of the Year. He was appointed to the US EPA Science Advisory Board Panel for the Review of Hydraulic Fracturing Study in 2011.
Dr. Vidic is a graduate of the University of Belgrade in Yugoslavia (BS, 1987) and received his graduate education from the University of Illinois (MS, 1989) and University of Cincinnati (PhD, 1992). Before joining the faculty at the University of Pittsburgh in 1992, he worked as a Research and Teaching Assistant at the University of Illinois and University of Cincinnati. He was also a Lecturer at the University of Belgrade, Yugoslavia and a Visiting Scholar at the University of Lund, Sweden.
He is an Associate Editor for the ASCE Journal of Environmental Engineering and is active in a number of national professional organizations. He is a member of the International Association on Water Quality (IAWQ), Chair of the Research Committee of the Pennsylvania Water Environment Association (PWEA), Chair of the Student Activities Committee and a member of the Strategic Planning Committee and Program Committee of the American Water Works Association (AWWA) – PA; member of the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE); member of the Association of Environmental Engineering Professors (AEESP) and American Chemical Society (ACS).
- Outstanding Doctoral Thesis Award (National Award co-sponsored by CH2M-Hill and the Association of Environmental Engineering Professors), 1993.
- 1991 Water Pollution Control Federation Award for Best Student Research Paper in the PhD Category
- William Kepler Whiteford Faculty Fellowship, University of Pittsburgh, 1994-1996
- Associate Editor, Journal of Environmental Engineering, ASCE, 2005 – present
- 2009 ACS Graduate Student Award in Environmental Chemistry, awarded to my graduate student Heng Li
- 2008 Professor of the Year, American Society of Civil Engineers, Pittsburgh Section.
- Program Committee, Water Environment Federation, 1992 - 2004
- Research Committee, Pennsylvania Water Environment Association, 1994 - 2000 (Chair)
- Student Activities Committee (Chair) - Pennsylvania Section AWWA, 1992 - present
- Faculty Advisor for the Mentoring Program for Excellence in Engineering, University of Pittsburgh
- Chair, International Program Committee, First International Conference on Environmental Recovery of Yugoslavia 2001, Belgrade, Yugoslavia, September 27-30, 2001
- Associate Editor, Water Research, 1996 - 2004
- Choudhury, M.R., Hsieh, M.K.,Vidic, R.D.and Dzombak, D.A. “Corrosion Management in Power Plant Cooling Water Systems Using Tertiary Treated Municipal Wastewater as Makeup Water”, accepted for publication inCorrosion Science, 2012.
- Chien, S.-H., Chowdhury, I., Hsieh, M.K., Dzombak, D.A. andVidic, R.D.“Control of Biological Growth in Recirculating Cooling Systems Using Treated Secondary Effluent as Makeup Water with Monochloramine”,Water Research, 46(19), 6508-6518, 2012.
- Hsieh, M.K., Walker, M.E., Safari, I., Chien, S.H. Abbasian, J., Vidic, R.D. and Dzombak, D.A. “Ammonia stripping in open-recirculating cooling water systems,”Environmental Progress & Sustainable Energy, 2012.
- Liu, W.,Chien, S-H., Dzombak, D.A. andVidic., R.D.“Mineral scaling mitigation in cooling systems using tertiary-treated municipal wastewater”Water Research, 46(14), 4488-4498, 2012.
- Chien, S.H., Hsieh, M.K., Li, H., Monnell, J., Dzombak, D.A. andVidic, R.D.“Pilot-scale cooling tower to evaluate corrosion, scaling, and biofouling control strategy for cooling system makeup water,”Review of Scientific Instruments83(2), 024101, 2012.
- Li, H., Dzombak, D.A. andVidic, R.D.“Electrochemical Impedance Spectroscopy (EIS) Based Characterization of Mineral Deposition from Precipitation Reactions”Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research,51, 2821-2829, 2012.
- Choudhury, M.R., Hsieh, M-K.,Vidic, R.D., Dzombak, D.A. “Development of an Instantaneous Corrosion Rate Monitoring System for Metal and Metal Alloys in Recirculating Cooling Systems” ”Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, 51:11, 4230-4239,2012.
- Hsieh, M.-K., Chien, S.-H., Li, H., Monnell, J.D., Dzombak, D.A. andVidic, R.D.“Corrosion control when using passively treated abandoned mine drainage as alternative makeup water for cooling systems”Water Environment Research,83:9, 807-814,2011.
- Duda, S., Stout, J.E. andVidic, R.D.“Biological control in cooling towers using nonchemical treatment devices”HVAC&R Research, 17:5, 872-890, 2011.
- Gregory, K.B,Vidic, R.D.and Dzombak, D.A. “Water management challenges associated with the production of shale gas by hydraulic fracturing”Elements, 7, 181-186, 2011.
- Li, H., Chien, S.-H., Hsieh, M.-K., Dzombak, D.A. andVidic, R.D.“Escalating water demand for energy production and the potential for use of treated municipal wastewater”, Environmental Science & Technology,45, 4195-4200, 2011.
- Li, H., Hsieh, M.K., Chien, S.H., Monnell, J.D., Dzombak, D.A. andVidic, R.D.“Control of Mineral Scale Deposition in Cooling Systems Using Secondary-Treated Municipal Wastewater”,Water Research,45 (2), 748-760, 2011.
- Hsieh, M.-K, Dzombak, D.A. andVidic, R.D.“Bridging Gravimetric and Electrochemical Approaches to Determine Corrosion Rate of Metals and Metal Alloys in Cooling Systems: Bench Scale Evaluation Method"Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, 49 (19), 9117-9123, 2010.
- Hsieh, M.-K., Li, H., Chien, S.-H., Monnell, J.D., Chowdhury, I., Dzombak, D.A. andVidic, R.D.“Corrosion control when using secondary treated municipal wastewater as alternative makeup water for cooling tower systems”,Water Environment Research, 82 (12), 2346-2356, 2010.
- Kazachkin, D., Nishimura, Y., Irle, S., Feng, X.,Vidic, R.D.and Borguet, E. “Temperature and pressure dependence of solvent molecule adsorption on single wall carbon nanotubes and the existence of a ‘pressure gap’”Carbon,48:7, 1867-1875, 2010.
- Sanchez, D.V.P., Huynh, P., Kozlov, M.E., Baughman, R.H.,Vidic, R.D., Yun, M. “Carbon Nanotube/Platinum (Pt) Sheet as an Improved Cathode for Microbial Fuel Cells”Energy & Fuels, 24, 5897–5902, 2010
- Hsieh, M.-K, Dzombak, D.A. andVidic, R.D.“Effect of Tolyltriazole on the Corrosion Protection of Copper against Ammonia and Disinfectants in Cooling Systems”Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, 49 (16), 7313-7322, 2010.
- Bhardwaj, R., Chen, X. andVidic, R.D.“Impact of Fly Ash Composition on Mercury Speciation in Simulated Flue Gas”J. Air and Waste Management Association,59, 1331–1338, 2009.
- Zhang, Z., Stout, J.E., Yu, V.L. andVidic, R.D.“Effect of Pipe Corrosion Scales on Chlorine Dioxide Consumption in Drinking Water Distribution Systems”,Water Research, 42:1, 129-136, 2008.
- Zhang, Z., McCann, C., Stout, J.E., Piesczynski, S., Hawks, R.,Vidic, R.and Yu, V.L. “Safety and Efficacy of Chlorine Dioxide forLegionellaControl in a Hospital Water System,”Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology, 28:8, 1009-1012, 2007.
- Liu, Z., Lin, Y.E., Stout, J.E.,Vidic, R.D., and Yu, V.L. “Effect of Flow Regimes on the Presence of Legionella within the Biofilm of a Model Plumbing System”J. Applied Microbiology, 101, 437–442, 2006.
- Lin Y.E.,Vidic R.D."Possible phosphate interference with copper-silver ionization for Legionella control".J. Hospital Infection, 62:1, 119, 2006.